Planar optical waveguide technology is the optical waveguide branch devices with semiconductor process, the function of the shunt on the chip, to achieve the above shunt up to 1×32 on a chip, the chip at both ends, respectively, coupled to encapsulate the input and outputend multi-channel fiber array.
PLC fiber optic splitters are used to distribute or combine optical signals, which are based on planar lightwave circuit technology and provides a low cost light distribution solution with small form factor and high reliability.
The PLC fiber Splitter contains no electronics and uses no power. They are the network elements that put the passive in Passive Optical Network and are available in a variety of split ratios, including 1:4, 1:8, and 1:16, 1:32, 1:64 and 1:128 etc.
The main advantages:
(1) wear and tear on the transmission wavelength of light is not sensitive to meet the needs the transmission of different wavelengths.
(2) spectrophotometric uniform, the signal can be assigned to the user.
(3) The compact structure, small size, can be installed directly in a variety of transfer of the box, without specially designed to stay a great deal of installation space.
(4) single device shunt channel can reach more than 32.
(5) multi-channel, low cost, points more and more large ones, the more obvious cost advantage.
The main drawback:
(1) complex device fabrication process, high technical threshold, the current chip monopolized by several foreign companies, domestic enterprises to be able to the production of large quantities of packaging and only a small few.
(2) relative to the higher cost of fused cone splitter, especially in the low-channel splitter at a disadvantage.
Source: Fiber optic cable supplier, website: http://www.jfiberoptic.com